What grades and English level do I need?

To successfully gain admission to a US degree or pathway program, students must meet minimum academic and English level entry requirements.

Academic qualifications

You need good grades in previous academic study – high school diploma or undergraduate degree – that are equivalent to the minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) for entry to your chosen degree. You may have the option to join an undergraduate pathway program if your GPA does not qualify you for entry directly to a bachelor’s degree.

English language level

With advanced English proficiency, you may be able to start a bachelor’s or master’s degree immediately. You can join a pathway or intensive English program if your English level does not yet meet the requirements for a degree. Generally, we accept scores from any of the following English language exams:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT
  • Kaplan iBT
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE)

For international students affected by testing centers closures due to coronavirus (COVID-19), our US university partners have temporarily approved the use of the Duolingo English test.

For detailed entry requirements by US university and degree, download the relevant International Student Guide.

Our admissions team will be happy to advise you on the specific entry requirements for the pathway or program you wish to apply for. Contact one of our advisors.


What are the entry requirements?

Learn what you need to qualify for one of our programs

Typical academic and English requirements for US universities

Additional admission requirements

  • Supporting documents

    For a completed US university application, you usually need to submit the following documents:

    • ‭Proof of English Language Proficiency – this can be a TOEFL®, IELTS, Pearson PTE, Kaplan iBT or KITE result, or completion of a previous degree taught in English
    • Academic transcripts from previous study (including grade scale and English translation if originals are in another language)
    • Personal statement
    • Reference letters
    • Curriculum vitae (CV)/résumé (master’s applicants only)
    • Passport copy
    • Evidence of finances to cover your study costs
  • Previous classes or degrees

    Some US bachelor’s degrees require you to complete specific classes – called “pre-requisites” – and to submit the grades you earned, before you can start the program.

    Master’s programs may require that you studied a specific degree subject (or “major”) during your undergraduate studies.

  • Admission test scores

    Some bachelor’s degree programs encourage applicants to submit standardized admission test scores (SAT or ACT) to be considered for tuition scholarships, but these are not required for international students.

    Many master’s degree programs require students to submit graduate admission test scores (such as the GMAT or GRE) before their application is considered.

What if I need to improve my English to qualify for admission?

For some pathway programs and degrees, if you do not meet the English language requirement, you are offered conditional admission. This gives you time to improve your English through an on-campus Intensive English Program, or to submit a qualifying English test score.

What can I do next?

We provide a streamlined way to apply to a US university. Click on one of the links below to start your application: